New Kind of Network (NKN) is a peer-to-peer network connectivity protocol to develop a decentralized networking infrastructure for web 3.0. It provides serverless communication with security and privacy. It is a new kind of blockchain- for network sharing. Existing blockchain solutions provide decentralization for computing solutions using chains like Bitcoin and Ethereum, and for storage solutions using chains like IPFS and Filecoin. NKN provides a decentralized solution for the network.
NKN utilizes truly decentralized blockchain to provide network connectivity and data transmission capability. It uses massive independent relay nodes to solve the problem of redundant data on the network.
In the current internet topology, the client-server model for communication is based on centralized servers. The information is susceptible to blocking, hacking, censorship, and eavesdropping. The privacy protection is mostly limited.
What NKN provides is a decentralized relay of information that does not require the trust of any involved parties. Internet users share their network connections. NKN utilizes this unused connectivity and bandwidth from users. It aims to provide a decentralized internet using blockchain technology.
Currently, the network is made up of more than 1,17,000 nodes spread across 56 regions and countries. It supports data transmission from all application types like real-time 3D gaming, AR/VR, and IoT. It is adopted by iQYQI which is an online movie and video streaming service, Synology, to provide secure remote access of NAS devices, and China Mobile, a telecom service.
The network is incentivized by a native token, NKN. Users can buy/sell NKN tokens on exchanges like Coinbase, Binance, Huobi Global, Bittrex, gate.io, UPbit, and Uniswap. Currently, it has been trending among crypto users.
🔥 ROUND 2 🔥
Below are the Top 5 Trending tokens in The Americas over the past seven days!
Are there any of your favorite projects there? You can find more interesting data on the link below.
— CoinMarketCap (@CoinMarketCap) April 12, 2021
Solutions Developed Using NKN
nMobile– It is a decentralized, secure, and anonymous messaging powered by NKN blockchain technology. It provides anonymous communication for users, where no backtracking to the user device is possible. Communication is secured by end-to-end encryption of messages. The personal data is kept only on the users’ devices. It also provides wallet integration to manage NKN funds and send tokens to other users. As it not on any central servers, it is not open to security and privacy breach.
nConnect– It is a complete decentralized remote access solution. It allows secure and private access to users’ data from anywhere even if the device is behind a router, firewall, or gateway. It supports both TCP and UDP transmission.
dataRide– this is a decentralized PaaS (Platform as a Service) of fast, reliable, secure, and low-cost messaging, streaming, and file transfer service. It can be used for person-to-person, machine-human, or machine-machine communication. These are used for services like chat & IM, IoT communication, direct file transfer, live chat support, remote control of servers, and direct security camera control. Apps like D-Chat, nMobile, nShell, and Live Chat Support are powdered by dataRide.
nCDN– it is a decentralized content delivery network solution. It could be used for accelerated performance for websites, videos, and all kinds of rich media content. This service is especially good for popular and longtail content.
- Decentralized telecom industry: NKN is targeting the trillion-dollar telecommunication industry with the aim to provide better connectivity to everyone. It employs the concept of a Decentralized Data Transmission Network (DDTN). DDTN combines multiple independent and self-organized relay nodes to provide clients with connectivity and data transmission capability. This coordination is decentralized and does not require the trust of any involved parties.
- High aggregated throughput: It could be powered by any number of nodes. It could horizontally scale itself supporting millions of consensus nodes. In contrast to centralized network connectivity and data transmission, there are multiple efficient paths between nodes in DDTN, which can be used to enhance data transmission capacity.
- No server: Data can be transmitted between any clients efficiently, without centralized servers.
- Profit for network participation: It incentivizes the sharing of unused networking resources, expanding and revolutionize the sharing network.
- Security and privacy: User data remains private and secure while delivered. Provides an additional security layer by using end-to-end and hop-by-hop encryption.
- Anonymous participation: NKN provides unique and global NKN addresses to enable services from anywhere in the network. These are not linked to users’ IP addresses.
In the case of traditional app development, one can host it on cloud computing platforms, store data on cloud storage, use web services for text messages, phone calls, and payments. In the decentralized blockchain-based application (dApp), one can use blockchains like Ethereum for computing, file storage service like IPFS, and NKN for networking.
Under this new paradigm, users will personally own their identity and data and can be both consumers and providers in the entire system.
NKN uses the following technological stack to build a decentralized networking infrastructure:
- Dynamic topology and routing based on Chord Chord Distributed Hash Table for millions of nodes and clients, who can join and leave at any time. It uses unique NKN addresses to identify nodes, providing an overlay on top of TCP/IP. Data is optimally routed using a proximity routing algorithm.
- A highly scalable consensus algorithm called Major Vote Cellular Automata (MOCA). It is based on a Cellular Automata and Ising model.
- Signature chain for secure and verifiable data transmission. It acts as a proof of relay for nodes along the route. This allows a level of secure data transmission that is not only verifiable but also impossible to tamper with or forge and is resistant to attacks.
- Relay and mining reward to incentivize sharing. NKN is designed to tokenize network connectivity and data transmission capability as a useful PoW called Proof of Relay. It is based on many useful activities including standing on-line for an extended period, expanding the amount of peer connection, providing high-speed and low latency relay, etc. A node is rewarded based on its network connectivity and data transmission power. The node proves its relay workload by adding a digital signature when forwarding data, which is then accepted by the system through a consensus algorithm. The mining in this blockchain system is redefined as contributing to the data transmission layer, and the only way to get more rewards is by providing more transmission power. The competition between nodes in the network will eventually drive a network to low latency and high bandwidth data transmission.
NKN will be one of the three foundational elements and play a critical role in the decentralized paradigm of Web 3.0. More and more nodes are joining the network sharing their bandwidths. The greater it becomes the more decentralized the NKN becomes.